Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chapter 15 - by Fabio Marchioro

On page 225 (it is not funny anymore) Poh-Poh returns.

Pearl Harbour was attacked bringing the war still closer to their home.

Kiam announces that wants to join the Canadian army. His father is so preoccupied with the news that he doesn’t even answer.

The war, through Kazuo, breaks Myiyng’s heart and she commits suicide. The impact in Sek-Lung’s family is very powerful. But on Stepmother it is devastating. The last paragraph portrays a lyric scene:

Her eyes were wet.
“Mother,” I said. “I’m here.”
She reached out to me. I took her hand and pressed into her palm the carved pendant Grandmama had left to me.



Conclusion:

On the second post I made for this blog, on the second chapter, I wrote:

This chapter made me wonder: is it really worth spending time reading this book right now? I immigrated to Canada a few months ago. Should I spend more time reading stories on immigrants or books on Canadian lore? So far, I’d rather be reading Canadian History for Dummies, by Will Ferguson.


Well, 238 pages and several hours later I hate to admit, but I was right.

Let’s put Ferguson’s book aside for a while and consider other possibilities: what about Robertson Davies’ Fifth Business? Or Yann Martel’s Life of Pi? Or any book by Atwood? I understand the idea behind reading a book like The Jade Peony, but at this time in my life it was neither worth the time nor the effort. The insights into Canadian life, how to improve my prospects in this country, how to better and deeper understand the Canadian mind and culture are close to zero.The writing techniques Choy employs are basic and ineffective. The vocabulary was plain and the characters bland.

Onto Ferguson’s book.

1 comment:

  1. I think the concept of Poh-Poh's return speaks of Chinese superfluous beliefs. Immigrants bring not only skills, but they carry much more to influence the native culture. Superstition and fals-notions now are not restricted to Chinatown, we can see its glimpses at many places in Toronto's downtown. Cultural mingling, I think, we should call it.

    ReplyDelete